Monday, January 2, 2012

USB Sync and Charging Cable Compatible with Apple iPhone (White)

Apple provides a bare minimum of cabling with the iPhone. While this may be more than come with most phones, it's not really adequate for a multifunction device like the iPhone. For instance, I sync contacts and addresses with the macbook I use for business, sync music and videos with the media mac in my A/V system, pull photos off of the camera on the FreeBSD system on my desktop that I use for image processing, and finally would like to plug it into the wall overnight in my bedroom so I can listen to music before going to sleep - which also takes one of these cables. Apple wants $20 each for them. This cable works fine in all these roles, and at a fraction of the price, so I can actually have a cable everywhere I use one regularly and one to carry around without spending over 10% of the cost of the phone on extra cables.

It is different from the apple cable, in that it locks into place when you plug it in. This seems like a good idea, in that if you knock the phone off the table while it's plugged in, it'll hang on the end of the cord instead of hitting the floor. On the other hand, it makes unplugging the cable from the dock if you've got an audio cable in the dock as well difficult for my fat fingers.

I recommend shopping around if you want to order more than one, though. Many of the dealers charge both steep per-item and per-shipment shipping charges, so the cheapest vendor for a single one may well be more expensive than other vendors for more than one. I certainly found that to be true.


After reading all the negative comments, I didn't know whether to order the product or not. At last, I decided to give it a shot (rather than paying the high cost for the apple cable). When I received the cable, I tried to charge/sync my iPhone on a PC, a Mac, and with the wall charger - it didn't work. I contacted the company. Their answer was prompt and really kind.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend got herself an iPod touch. We tried to cable with her iPod - it worked. So, I decided not to return the cable. Then I went to an Apple Store and figured out in fact the problem was with my iPhone, not the cable. They swapped my iPhone, and right now the cable is working.

The cable is different than the original (the phone connector part is thinner). It comes in a nice box. Fast shipping. The customer service is great if your cable is not working - just make sure that the problem is caused by the cable. (They told me they were going to pay all the shipping, refund me for my return shipping, and send a new cable).




View complete package details






No comments:

Post a Comment